Posts tagged Game of Thrones
Posts tagged Game of Thrones
The actual lines from A Storm if Swords. I don’t know how D&D read this and got “let’s change this to ‘you sound like a bloody woman.’”
-M (still not over it forever)
Season 3 forecast for Ygritte predicts about 4 to 7 inches of Snow.
I’m so sick of reading that what happened to Ros is misogynistic. I think
if you watched the episode and all you could think was how “sexist” it is,
THEN YOU AREN’T ENJOYING THEN SHOW PROPERLY.
She is a prostitute. She betrayed a man who warned her what would happen.
She thought she was more clever than she was. Sounds kinda like Ned in a
way. Or anyone. Everything makes sense and if all you can think is how
immoral this story-telling is, you’re probably some kind of feminist
hipster. The whole realm is fucked up, ok?
Are you fucking kidding me? She was a person who was forced to torture another woman - who was also a person, because, in spite of what you seem to be indicating, prostitutes are actually people - while she was in Littlefinger’s employ.
You’re telling me that if your boss forced you to tortures someone you wouldn’t go looking for someone else to work for? Especially when he warned you that you’d regret it, making it clear that he was a dangerous person. You’re saying you’d keep working for him. Right.
Yes the whole realm is fucked up. That doesn’t make the ending that was written for her any better. Someone wrote it, decided how she was going to be dressed and posed and filmed. And all of that was done in a decidedly sexual manner that was completely unnecessary and incredibly sexist.
So. Let’s talk about Ros.
In particular, let’s talk about her death. Many eloquent people have already spoken on the subject, and many people have also been arguing that her death isn’t problematic. Although the reveal of her death was punch-to-the-gut shocking, some of these arguments appear fairly persuasive.
So I’m going to talk for a little bit about her death scene (if we can call it that) and the general reasons why it was disturbing and deeply misogynistic. But then I’m going to address in more depth a lot of the arguments that I’ve seen against this perspective, and explore why they don’t hold up under scrutiny.
- she is a young sex worker who tyrion hires when he visits winterfell. by all accounts, the encounter goes pretty well by the standards of transactional sex in westeros. he’s not abusive and pays her well
- she’s hired by theon greyjoy. he’s rough with her and threatens to not pay but she seems to at least give the appearance of being in control of the situation
- the north starts preparing for war. ros, anticipating that most men will leave, heads to kl. (theon warns her she’ll be violently killed by another man, which i would not chalk up to foreshadowing bc this show does not plan but i’ll note it anyway.)
- she comes under the employ of petyr baelish, who notoriously abuses sex workers
- she is apparently a good worker and enters into a position of some authority at the brothel, as we see in 2x01
- she witnesses a young woman’s child being brutally murdered in front of her
- her employer threatens her that if she shows too much emotional strain over this, she’ll be severely punished
- she’s sent to service joffrey, along with another woman. joffrey forces her to torture said woman in front of him on pain of death.
- cersei mistakes her for tyrion’s mistress and has her brutally beaten (a role meant to go to alayaya, a woc, who was essentially whitewashed for ros to go in her place.)
- she IS FED THE FUCK UP WITH ALL THIS SHIT and is given a position with varys in which he promises to give her more respect and treat her as a person
- she seems to be doing okay for a bit
- joffrey brutally tortures and kills her and her body is displayed like some kind of trophy
what the actual fuck is the point of all of this????
PLEASE BE ON YOUR GUARD
Jon Snow walks up to Gendry and says, “You must be Robert Baratheon’s bastard”
and runs off into the wilderness shrieking his victory
I often suggest to people that they watch Game of Thrones instead of reading the books, because when you see Cersei in the show it’s just like, “God what a bitch,” but when you read her chapters in the books it’s all, “This is the Antichrist [FUMING VIOLENT HATRED]”. Lena Headey is an awesome actress, and she pulls the character off beautifully, but there’s just some shit in the books — when you’re inside Cersei’s head — that’s just AUUUAFUAUGUUGUAUGAUGUGGGHHHHH.
So I love when people watch the show, and hate her but kinda sympathize, AND THEN THEY GO AND READ THE BOOKS AND THEIR ENTIRE UNDERSTANDING OF REALITY CRUMBLES AROUND THEM, AS THEY ARE BROUGHT TO NEW HEIGHTS OF VEHEMENT HATRED.
the inside of cersei’s head is beautiful (◕‿◕✿)
I think they just got confused and meant Tyrion’s chapters.
And then Sansa teaches her pony-sized furry killing machine to take food delicately from her hand, because manners are important.