Posts tagged gif warning
Posts tagged gif warning
Me: Where should I apply my perfume?
Coco Chanel: A woman should wear perfume wherever she wants to be kissed
I can say with absolute certainty, that I have found the perfect reason to use this gif:
Jada Pinkett-Smith is aware of the critics that frown up their noses at the way she raises her daughter, Willow. Willow cuts, dyes and styles her hair as she pleases, a fact that bothers many who feel girls shouldn’t have that much control over their appearance at such a young age.
Jada decided to address the criticism in a Facebook post:
“A letter to a friend…This subject is old but I have never answered it in its entirety. And even with this post it will remain incomplete. The question why I would LET Willow cut her hair. First the LET must be challenged. This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don’t belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self determination. I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are HER domain. Willow cut her hair because her beauty, her value, her worth is not measured by the length of her hair. It’s also a statement that claims that even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother’s deepest insecurities, hopes and desires. Even little girls should not be a slave to the preconceived ideas of what a culture believes a little girl should be.”
I’m pretty sure I’ve reblogged this before but seriously this is something we should be teaching all our children. Their bodies are theirs, not ours as parents. As soon as you tell someone their body doesn’t belong to theirs you take away so much from them.
OKAY BUT CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT BROOKLYN NINE NINE FOR A SECOND AND WHY PEOPLE NEED TO GET ON THIS SHIT:
- this can’t be said enough but a diverse cast!!!!! out of a main cast of 7, 4 are PoC. one of whom is gay, the other of whom subverts the ~angry black man~ trope and is the self-professed ‘proud mother hen’ of the precinct (and he also enjoys yoghurt parfaits, foreign films, and loves his daughters more than anything in the world), and the other two are latina women.
- speaking of which, ladies!!!! the women are in this show are all friends, and even have centric episodes based on their friendships. though one of the women is very competitive, they’re never catty, and they care about each other!
- once again touching on the ladies, one of the them is a typical “badass “character, with a penchant for leather jackets and destroying computers with fire extinguishers, and has no tragic backstory or reasoning for her behaviour, something that isn’t often seen with female characters like this.
- captain! holt! a gay black man who is the captain of the precinct. however, his sexuality is never made the butt of any joke, and the homophobia he faced in the NYPD is never glossed over or ignored, instead it is a central part of his character’s motivations. likewise, the sexism that women in the force would’ve been subjected to in the past has also been pointed out.
- with such a diverse cast, often shows feel the need to make fun of their character’s races (glee, i am looking at you), but not once has any character’s race been made into a joke. likewise, neither has holt’s sexuality, or the women’s gender.
- whilst the main character is a straight white male, he is made to recognize his privilege, which is not something you often see on television. instead, the privilege he has over his fellow colleagues is pointed out to him regularly, and he has called out the nypd for the discrimination they have shown.
- they subvert the nice guy trope!!!!! a male character had been pining over one of his colleagues for over a year, and not only did the show point out his behaviour as creepy and out of line (and nothing ~romantic), they apologized for it!
- and finally, every character on the show is an angel (except gina, but she’s wired to thrive on dysfunction), just about every combination of characters has been paired together in different episodes, and it’s fucking hilarious!!!!!
brooklyn nine nine is a hilarious show with a diverse cast - and not only treats this diverse cast with respect, but also points out the problematic behaviour directed towards them. it subverts the typically offensive tropes in comedy, whilst making jokes that don’t need to rely on race and sexuality. it’s not perfect, but it’s pretty damn close to it.
Scott McCall is a gift.
Emotionally intelligent male protagonist.
Idolizes his mother
Respects his girlfriend
Is caring and supportive of his friends
Empathizes with his enemies
Believes in negotiaton and compromise over force
He is the hot girl
all hail hot girl Scott McCall
(who is proud to be called the hottest girl because wow what a compliment girls are awesome)
"The backstory between Winter Soldier and Black Widow is not expected to be explored in this film, but it is acknowledged."
#death by Tyler Hoechlin
What is with bihets and wanting to be part of the oppression club
like you’re fucking kidding me with this garbage right
Lupita Nyong’o accepting her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress
MY FRIEND HAS ONE OF THESE AND I SWEAR IT IS THE BEST THING EVER
MY PHYSICS TEACHER HAS THIS AND WE JUST PLAY WITH IT ALL DAY
*Jean-Ralphio voice* THE WORRRRST
the writers’ strike of 2007-2008 haunts me to this day
fuckin’ norman reedus WELP i’m turned on