Posts tagged harry potter
Posts tagged harry potter
“we’ll take the lot!”
wow harry maybe some of the other kids on the train wanted some candy
but nope i guess the boy who lived is entitled to the entire fucking trolley
will probably reblog this for the rest of forever
I can’t even.
if being gay was so normalized in HP and that’s why we had to wait until after the books were all published to find out about dumbledore then like …why weren’t any of the students gay or bi
when everyone was flipping out about who to invite to the stupid dance, it would have been really simple to have just one sentence of like “and jane asked georgia and they wore matching corsages” or whatever, but that didn’t happen
do u know why that didn’t happen
do u need a hint
I’m really uncomfortable with the discussion going on about the Cho Chang poem. It seems the girl made a mistake about the origin/ ethnicty of Cho Chang’s name and so people’s focus is entirely on that instead of the very valid points she’s making about Harry Potter. Not all Asian women have the same experience across the diaspora and she’s speaking from a very specific experience of growing up in a white-dominant culture with only stereotypes and fetishes to represent her, a culture that takes for granted the supposed “natural” submission of Asian women. I’m not saying we shouldn’t critique the poem or that we should leave her mistakes intact but we also shouldn’t throw out the proverbial baby with the bathwater because she’s making some legitimate points about a narrative that’s almost universally adored. And let me tell you as a WOC in fandom it takes major guts to speak about race in a beloved text when said text is by written by a white person and features white protagonists. And the HP fandom is no exception when it comes to racism/whitewashing/ erasure/ tokenizing etc.
JK Rowling is many things, but an expert at engaging institutional oppression she isn’t. Like most white writers who write fantasy fiction she’s very ignorant about the dynamics of race and privilege. I say this as someone who loves Harry Potter. HP is not a great example for POC representation at all, in fact it has some very problematic tropes (don’t even get me started on Voldermort’s pet snake Nagini)
jesus christ i fucking hate snape
boohoo the woman u loved chose someone over you that didnt hurl a slur at her and actually grew the fuck up boohoo she died and it’s mostly ur fault boohoo u hav to protect this kid whose dad (that he’s never fucking met) bullied u aw boohoo u willingly chose to be a death eater boohoo
nothing merits the daily fucking abuse of children jesus i hate snape so fucking much u guys i hate him
#YES #YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS #LIKE SORRY LILY MARRIED SOMEONE YOU DIDN’T LIKE#SORRY SHE DIDN’T WANNA FUCK W/ SOMEONE WHO JOINED AN ORGANISATION THAT WANTED PEOPLE LIKE HER DEAD #SORRY THAT EMOTIONALLY VULNERABLE 11 Y/O DARED TO RESEMBLE THE GUY WHO BULLIED YOU #DOESN’T EXCUSE THE FACT THAT YOU’RE A TERMINALLY GREASY TWATNUGGET WHO GETS HIS JOLLIES FROM BULLYING CHILDREN#BESIDES LILY COULD PROB TELL YOU’D BE THE TYPE TO FUCK THROUGH A HOLE IN THE SHEET SO…
“Scott, my buddy, my bro, my best friend…”
“Stiles, what are you planning this time?”
“I am wounded! Why do you always assume I plan something? Well… okay, so I overheard the paintings gossiping about a corpse in the woods. We should go and take a look!”
“Stiles, I have Quidditch practice, and Finstock said that if I lose anymore house points, he’ll even ban me from the bench! And I always end up losing house points when you have “a plan”.”
“Those air quotes are harsh, dude.”
OMG, I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS.
“Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves, who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier, and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth, ‘It unscrews the other way.’”
Harry Potter: Race-Swap
(click the read more for the rest)
THIS IS FUN.
so much SO MUCH of this is perfect!
#there is an article called ‘the women of harry potter’ omg#prepare for salt #jkr you sweet summer child #no one is arguing that molly weasley shouldn’t have the choice between having a career or being a stay-at-home mom #nobody is shaming her for choosing to raise her kids full-time #we are shaming YOU for making the entirety of her character a mother #she is nothing else#she doesn’t get to speak about her time in the war #she doesn’t have a voice #she doesn’t have other interests #and that is your fault #you have reduced her from woman to mother #when women have children they don’t stop being three-dimensional human beings! #and i will criticize your shitty narrative writing until the day i die #because giving bellatrix’s death to molly weasley rather than neville longbottom #the boy whose parents were tortured by that woman #the boy who deserved to kill her #that is just some lazy and uninspired writing #go to bd jkr#the boy who lived
ok im really super mad about hp and i have to finish a calc bc problem set and shower and get dressed in the next 20 minutes i cant do all of those things so lemme just get this out there
- jkr is not a feminist writer
- jkr is not a feminist writer
- jkr is not a feminist writer
- jkr slut-shames and shames girls for being interested in “girly” things (lavender)
- jkr presents a dichotomy between “good women” and “bad women” (hermione’s bookishness and respectable prudery vs. lavender’s girly-girl sexuality, mrs weasley’s motherliness vs. bellatrix’s lack of offspring and sexual attraction to voldemort)
- which is an INHERENTLY ANTIFEMINIST ACT
- ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU FRAME IT IN TERMS OF FEMALE SEXUALITY? WOW
- jkr blames girls for their eating disorders (this was on her website at one point so it’s not textual but i feel we should note it)
- jkr then says that she is fat-positive while every overweight character in her books is mean, nasty, and shrewish (with the exception of mrs. weasley who is described as “plump and motherly”)
- jkr writes outing narratives (remus lupin - bookish shy teacher with a secret that’s revealed to the school and then causes him to lose his job) but maintains the textual straightness of even her only queer character - dumbledore’s queerness is not stated in-text and is thus not actually canonical)
- jkr has one textually disabled girl character and her entire purpose is to get abused and raped and be written as “dangerous and out of control” b/c of her brain problems to motivate dumbledore… (thanks for this one cat!)
- also i feel like i should address jkr’s positioning of luna as “crazy” and “that weird girl” when luna has suffered abuse from her housemates for her entire school career and showed up at school traumatized and proceeded to be ostracised wow how is that an ok thing to do
- jkr has never acknowledged the possibility of queer female characters
- EDIT: jkr “punished” umbridge for her actions in book five by sending her off to be gang-raped by centaurs
- jkr is the fucking worst
- if you idolize hp i do not want to know you
i was the one with the world at my feet
got us a battle, leave it up to me
#i’m so glad fandom at large has come to recognize that yes, this family cares about each other because i still remember all the abusive!lucius/subservient!narcissa and draco fics i had to suffer through during the early days of my stanning and oy it still smarts. #instances in which the malfoys proved they loved each other: that one time harry insulted narcissa and draco (who is usually all talk and no action) sent a curse his way without a second thought. that time narcissa vehemently rebuked bellatrix for blaming the DoM catastrophe on her husband. that time both narcissa and lucius desperately entreated snape and voldemort (respectively) that their only son be spared. that time harry sassed~ narcissa and called lucius a loser (lol oh harry) and draco stumbled over his robes in his rush to defend his parents. that time draco told dumbledore he HAD to kill him because if not voldemort would murder his parents. that time narcissa closed her hand around a humiliated lucius’ wrist in a private gesture of solidarity. that time narcissa gave draco her wand (leaving her and lucius without a wand between them). also that time narcissa LIED TO THE DARK LORD in the blind hope that she might see her son alive. oh and that time lucius and narcissa dropped everything in the midst of a massively chaotic battle to do nothing more than shout and search for their boy. #basically ALL THE TIMES #slytherins who behave like gryffindors for each other. #i am doing a write-up on this. with direct quotes. ayooo. #MALFOY FEELINGS BLOG #my malfoy love knows no bounds
Butter Beer for Adults! ;)
What you need:
- 8 ounces Butterscotch Schnapps
- 2 liter Cream Soda
- 1 small container Marshmallow Creme.
How to make it:
In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of marshmallow creme and one tablespoon of butterscotch schnapps. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir together and set aside. Pour 8 ounces of schnapps in the bottom of a pitcher, then fill the rest up with cream soda and stir gently to mix together. Pour marshmallow mixture on top. As you pour the butter beer into drinking glasses, the marshmallow will aerate, creating a creamy foam on top of the drink.
Oh hey, there just happens to be a wizard rock concert this weekend soooooooooooooo….
VOLDEMORT CAN’T STOP THE ROCK.
SEE THIS IS WHY HE’S NOT IN RAVENCLAW.