Posts tagged racism
Posts tagged racism
this is an interesting point, although mathematically inaccurate: assuming the women:men, 0.78:1 ratio is correct, men make $1.28 for every woman’s $1
White people are still the ~standard so that’s not so revolutionary.
A white man makes $1.34 for every dollar that a black man makes
A white man makes $1.52 for every dollar that a latino man makes
A white man makes $1.24 for every dollar that a white woman makes
A white man makes $1.44 for every dollar that a black woman makes
A white man makes $1.67 for every dollar that a latina woman makes
That’s some bullshit right there.
If you take away anything from this website, please let it be what I bolded ^
Let’s take it a step further. For every hour a white man works, a black woman has to work 86 minutes to earn as much money. 57.6 hours a week compared to the white man’s 40.
Take it another step further. Assuming a Monday through Friday, 9 to 5 job, from Thursday 12:45pm through Friday end of business, a white man gets paid for his work, a black woman is, by comparison, working for free.
The idea of a technologically advanced, prosperous and powerful African nation is just too much! Space Gods, though? HELL TO THE FUCKIN’ YEAH.
They need to just say “sorry, too black” and be honest for once.
Just admit you can’t do it. White dudes need to know their limitations. But don’t worry there are plenty of black people out there that can create this world. Bye.
It’s the fact that on Earth, Wakanda is the most technologically advanced civilization including in the fields of medicine and militarized weaponry.
And remember when the UN was trying to convince Wakanda to share its weaponry with them and they told them no? Yeah.
It’s soooo hard imagining Africans as anything other than NGeo picture fodder and emotional guilt-trip props for rich white people, right?
- Katy Perry might as well just have been singing “LONG TIIIIIIIIIME I WILL LOVE YOU LONGGGGG TIMMMEEEEEEEEE” and mixing up her L and R sounds. That is how horrendously racist this performance was.
- This is absolutely no different than Miley Cyrus’ use of black female bodies in her We Can’t Stop music video and VMAs performance or Lily Allen’s use of black female bodies in her Hard Out Here music video or Selena Gomez’s use of South Asian culture in her Come And Get It music video. All of these videos and performances co-opt aspects of different cultures, cartoonize them, and then marginalize people from those cultures.
- I really honestly hope to see every single white feminist who vocally criticized Cyrus and Allen and Gomez out in full force against Katy Perry’s racist AMAs performance as well. Walk the talk.
- It is not a coincidence that the messages of Gomez’s Come And Get It and Perry’s Unconditionally are being used in conjunction with Orientalist imagery from Asian cultures. The literal messages from these songs — “when you’re ready come and get it” and “I will love you unconditionally” — are ripe for being used to feed the racist western stereotype that all Asian women are constantly sexually available and willingly subservient to men.
- When Perry bows and puts her hands together and cocks her head a little singing “I will love you unconditionally” at the end bit is just the subservient sexual availability of Asian women as it is understood in the west translated into pop choreography. That is what that is.
- This song is not an homage to Japanese culture. It is simply an orientalist portrayal of the Greatest Hits of Japanese Culture As (Mis)Understood in the West: there are geisha in vaguely kimono-looking-garments, paper parasols, imagery from the Great Wave off Kanagawa, and a torii. Nothing about it is truly authentic or respectful.
- This performance was a trainwreck and Katy Perry is a giant racist.
Bolding added for emphasis.
Also it occurred to me that when another culture is “presented” like this and White people like me can immediately recognize everything visually recognized by it, it’s not an homage, it’s the age-old orientalist perspective of that culture being recycled anew.
Perry wasn’t presenting an image of Japan, but an orientalist and racist stereotype of Japan.
jaimie foxx wears a trayvon martin shirt to the BET awards.
macklemore mentions trayvon martin during his acceptance speech at the AMA awards.
the message: PoC are racist crybabies until a white knight notices the issue and plays champion.
#Can I legit say that like I was surprised as hell#That he actually gave a speech about how the past isn’t as perfect as nostalgics like to pretend it was#And that he was a victim of racism and homophobia and that the NYPD was sexist as hell#And thus he doesn’t share the ‘Those were the good ole’ days’ attitude many others and the media do?#ALL MY LOVE (x)
Cards Against Humanity.
I’m a big fan. Well, I bought this.
It’s great. It hold all of my shit. But it holds something else too.
If you have it, open your box.
You see how I started to tear away at the top of the box there?
Do it carefully.
There’s something in there. What could that be?
There’s a card.
There is a card literally hidden in the top of the box.
But what card?
I fucking love these people.
And up til now, I wanted this game… Sigh.
ugh white people.
The game ain’t even casual about the racism.
musicians who have used black women and other women of colour in their videos in a subversive and empowering way:
rihanna: pour it up (nsfw)
beyonce: run the world
etc. etc. etc.
where’s all their praise and numerous articles breaking down their brilliance? it’s not good enough when women of colour do it, is it? it has to come from a maternalistic supremacist place and it most certainly has to perpetuate racialised misogyny, doesn’t it? it’s of course super feminist to throw these women under the bus, write articles about how destructive they are to the feminist movement, or ignore them entirely; yay solidarity.
Were there any other videos you had in mind apart from Robin Thicke?
We deliberately didn’t want to reference anyone specific. It was more, "what would be the most hip hop thing you could ever do?" I wanted it to be watchable again in a couple of years and people still get what we’re on about rather than taking on specific things that are relevant this week.
Y’all can stop trying so hard to defend her “satire” now.
A Mi’kmaq mother in Prince Edward Island says she was devastated when she first had a chance to visit her children in foster care.
SO BASICALLY THEY TARGETED THIS WOMAN FOR HER POLITICAL ACTIVISM AND STOLE HER CHILDREN!!
DISGUSTING… I HOPE SHE CAN GET A GOOD LAWYER..
And that generic statement from social services “blah blah blah we respect indigenous beliefs and recognize the importance of hair and hair clippings”….. ummmmmmmmmmmmm, I don’t think you do ‘cause a part of recognizing that would mean you wouldn’t have had these kids for one week and already cut their hair.
So Lily Allen won’t apologize but is sorry that people might feel offended and hurt by what she is trying to call “satire”.
She also participated in a blackface incident when she was fighting with Azealia Banks.
The whole entire NYPD deserves to die and burn in hell.
===He says the officers told him if his rap wasn’t good enough they wouldn’t let him go.
"I felt like the old days, slavery. Like dance for the master, dance and sing for the master. It just messed me up inside," Shingles said.
Shingles says his lawsuit isn’t about money. It’s about doing what’s right.
"This is about me being able to tell my story so this won’t happen to another kid. This is outrageous. This is very disrespectful," Shingles said.
NYPD really isn’t doing much to change their reputation of being the scummiest police force in North America. Ray Kelly has to go.
Inuit children at boarding school. The sign on the wall behind them reads, “Please do not speak Eskimo.” (1914)
This reminds me of how whole sects of complex Inuktitut dialects were wiped out by Euro settlers. There were hundreds of different and diverse dialects in Canadian Inuktitut languages alone, and a chunk of that was wiped out during early 20th century. That language is already on the brink of collapse (only 35,000 or so now loosely speak it).
They also took away not just their language, but their surnames, and replaced them with ID-numbers. As if taking their children and capturing them into residential schools (where they were systematically gaslighted, sexually abused and experimented on the regular) wasn’t enough, an Inuit child’s name was legit changed to something like “Annie E7-121.”
- clip of ayn rand discussing why she thinks a women president is “unspeakable”
- i mean c’mon what (and apparently all women are straight, cis, + desire to be feminine)
- emphasizing selfishness to the point of being detrimental to those around you
- apparently everyone should have freedom except native people
- some racism and some more racism
thought it deserved to be its own post.
She also had some very fucked up ideas about rape.
White guys just can’t help but be racists, I guess.
People actually like this white devil?
is this what eighth circle of hell looks like ???
Why is Rita Ora in this?
im sorry, who?
because she’s white…………..and looking a damn fool
I just want to make sure that people understand what the problem with this is.
It’s not just that these white people are doing this, although that is a problem.
it’s that when white celebrities do this, it’s considered edgy or cool (or even “silly” or “goofy”) and when black regular teenagers do this, they get shot and killed and then defense attorneys hold up pictures of them with grills as though to prove how scary they are and how any sensible person would shoot them, too.